Sunday, January 25, 2009

1 Day Road Trip

Yesterday I drove 3 derby girls and myself (duh!) to San Francisco to get on that wonderful banked track of the Bombers. The track was awesome as always. A little crowded-it seems word is spreading that people can just jump on the track and have at it so there were a lot of girls from Sac City and even a couple from Spokane, WA. I was super stoked when Dave asked me to be one of the people up front for drills. I need a little acknowledgments here and there. Not all the time just every now and again-but who doesn't. Hannah was doing awesome learning some tricky backward whips with Frank and I am super proud of VaNastee and Bottle Rocket who kept at it till they got it!
As much as I love the track and skating the best part was the car ride there and back. Good conversation, jokes and derby dreams the whole way. I love it when I get to hang with girls I don't know so well and get to know them better. It was the perfect mix of girls to make it interesting and entertaining. We stopped at Ikea on the way there for lunch (Swedish Meatballs!) and I wish I could say our stops on the way home were as pleasant and uneventful as Ikea was. Sadly no but stil a good time. We made it to the Reno turn off on 80 (just past sacIi think) and stopped for gas-totally delirous. The cashier thought we were high as we tried to decide between hostess and candy and energy drinks and sodas. I went with the Chocolate Hotess Pie and a strawberry soda that complemented the energy drink I had previously quite nicely.
Then it was smooth sailing again until right before Boreal when the EFFING CHAIN NATZIS in California had a damn mandatory chain check. Of course they plan these things right before a gas station and it was mutually decided that for $20 it was well worth it for the gas station attendant to put them on for us. I would like to say that I did bring a trash bag, gloves, a beanie and blanket to put on my own chains but it was 1:30 in the morning and I was tired! The rad guy that put the chains on agreed to take a picture with us. When I say agreed I mean we prolly made his night!
Anyway that was 1:30am and it was slow going from then on out. We finally got them off (I mean Hannah got them off cause shes fuccking rad) just past the agriculture check station and after dropping everyone off I got home at 3:40am!
Holy shit tho those girls are the best co-pilots ever! Very little dozing and awesome conversation the whole way! A very succesful trip imho.

No comments: